March 3, 2011

Writing Conference

As some of you know, I graduated a few years back with an MFA in Creative Writing and promptly did. . . nothing with it.  I revised the novel that I'd submitted for my graduation requirements while my husband and I were on sabbatical in Washington, D.C.  Any forward momentum that comes out of grad school was used to propel me through all the museums and sites of Washington.  I steeped myself in that city.

Fast forward to now.  My daughter-in-law, who writes nearly every day on her burgeoning collection of novels invited me to a Writer's Conference in January this year.  I paid the big bucks, agreed to split the cost of the hotel room, cleared the schedule and panicked.  I'd pretty much buried the existing novel and  turned my back on the scattering of chapters on the second novel when I started teaching at the local community college.  Being a new teacher takes so much time. . . as I needn't tell this band of professionals.  But to go to this conference and confront that once shining possibility filled me with some amount of dread, as some of the more recent posts testify. (You can also see my notes from the sessions interspersed with these SOLSC posts.)

But going there was a good experience in many ways.  I learned what a good education I have.  I learned that it doesn't matter how old you are, you can still follow a that bright hope.  By the second day, I was really allowing myself to think about writing again, and so I came home and called up a few of my fellow grad students (we all seemed to be local) and we're starting up a mini-writing group--just to see how it goes.

I might fail again at this side of writing professionally.  I might.  But this March Madness of writing is good for the soul, and my first chapter for my writing group is due in two weeks.  Time to get writing.

11 comments:

  1. That's great that you are part of a writing group. I'm sure that will be helpful for you! What kind of book are you writing?? :)

    --jee young

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! You just needed that little nudge. Keep a POSITiVE attitude. Don't think that you might fail. Think that you might succeed! You are taking steps in all the "write" directions. I'm inspired by your willingness to open that door again.

    Can't wait to hear more! And love how you called the SOLSC the March Madness of writing! Great comparison!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to get a support system going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. March Madness of writing--I love it! Good for you for starting up again.

    Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I'm retired and have quit writing so many times--what is that? It's called life getting in the way which really isn't in the way, but an idea maker. Your book will come. SOLS will make sure of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sharing of your story is inspiring. Best wishes to you, and the group!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing you all the best on your new jump start. My friend just joined a writing group to get inspiration as well. She is rejuvinated and is writing chapter after chapter. I hope that your new group has the same effect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you are in the RIGHT place to be pushing yourself to writing mode. We are all waiting, even in Aruba
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keeping stabbing away at it. It is great that your daughter-in-law is in your corner and nudging you just a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't feel like I am done yet either. I have no idea where my writing will lead me but I want to be open. Your line about how we are never too old to hang on to that bright hope really sticks with me. I'm counting on that to be true.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rock on with your writing, Elizabeth! Writing with others is definitely a way to get feedback, motivation, and community! I hope your meetings involve spirited discussion and lots of laughter!

    -Carrie F.

    ReplyDelete