March 15, 2011

Tornado

Not really a real tornado.
It just feels like it.  I had four children, and lived in the middle of cyclone for years and years, and only now recognize--when the grandchildren come home--what that experience really was like.  Of course, I'm much older, and can't go as long or as fast as I used to be able to.

But the whirling of small bodies and "Grandma?" and spills and giggles and watching them skip around Costco just for the sheer joy of it all makes me laugh, makes me more animated and I work hard to keep up with them, and to keep my patience at all times.  And while my house may be tilting slightly, like the one on the left, and there's more cracker crumbs littering the table and floor, the energy in these children is infectious, although tiring.  Yep--dualities abound.

Lovely, sweet & smiling dualities.



P.S.  I bought them all Easter outfits today.  Maybe we'll get some photos up here at some point.

10 comments:

  1. Sweet post. It seems unfair that they have So MUCH energy when they are young. And as we gain maturity and wisdom we lose energy. Sounds like you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had one of those children-induced tornadoes last night at bedtime as my wife and I were trying to settle down to watch a show only to deal with three boys getting crazy overhead. Sometimes, the winds shift ..
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. We only had two but they were boys and had enough energy to give our home a swirl or two themselves. I love that you are loving your grandchildren. My grandparents played a very important role in my life and when I hear grandparents talk of their grandchildren with joy, I know I must have given back to my grandparents as they gave to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love torturing my Grandma like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the line about the tilting house. Your second paragraph made me feel the swirling motion of being in a house with children and yet it wasn't tense. It felt joyful. Enjoyed reading your slice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have the best kind of tornado! I can hear your joy and love throughout the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! We know all about kid tornadoes at our house. I'm glad to hear that you were able to stick with the energy level!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The slice that you composed for this photograph is perfect! I can hear you getting younger and energized through your grandchildren. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could just imagine the house tilting! Loved the picture with it! Imagine constructing a house out of flexible material so that you could see the bulges and bumps as the children moved around in it and "bounced off the walls"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just got back from an evening with two tornadoes. I will be creating a Slice for tomorrow with a picture of one. The other was in melt down mode.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete