March 21, 2011

That's How I'm Operating

My nephew's wife, Jamie (is she a niece-in-law?), has started a new blog, Found While Walking, and I like to look at because it brings new ideas, new connections and a different kind of art into my life.  Jamie is an artist--a modern artist who works with fiber and found things in a new way.  She's a tonic for me, who has been geared to the idea of production:
Produce, or you fail.  
The product is the thing. 
Publish or perish.  

All of these thoughts ricochet around in my head most of the time, the little Writing Gremlin sitting on my shoulder torturing me at all times.  So going to her blog is like sitting on the top of a hill overlooking a city, taking in the vista, breathing in the air, letting the mind drain clear of all its detritus, and allowing it to fill again with a different flavor of thinking.

Here's a sample of one of her posts:
Last night my husband was telling me about this painter Thomas Nozkowski he found.
He was right to think it would be right up my alley.


I was so tired but I sat quite long zoning out on the computer looking at his work and reading. My mind is a swamp with everything that's been going on.  
I've got nothing insightful or clear to say - 
But I like looking at these two artists and pairing their works together.

It feels simple and that's how I'm operating.  
Just looking. 

Thanks, Jamie.

10 comments:

  1. I feel like you when I read fellow slicer's pieces. I find myself saying, "Oh that is clever. Why didn't I ever think of that? I love the rhythm of this piece. I am going to look at that differently next time."
    It is great that you have found a relative blogger who inspires you. I liked what she had to say too and I loved the two pieces of art as a reflection.
    This is my favorite piece of your writing...
    "So going to her blog is like sitting on the top of a hill overlooking a city, taking in the vista, breathing in the air, letting the mind drain clear of all its detritus, and allowing it to fill again with a different flavor of thinking."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say almost the exact same thing as Wanda... I am inspired by the other blogs that I visit. Reading what others create inspires me. Isn't it wonderful to have access to all of that goodness right at our fingertips? The product is the thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you shared part of post of Jamie's. Of course, then I had to go there and check out her blog. You are right--it is a tonic. A very nice place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto, what can I say? They have said it all! I get inspiration form my daughter as well. However she does not allow her blog to be public, but I understand how we connect with others and learn from each other. Thanks for sharing! I love this! I didn't realize this world existed until I started slicing this March! Happy slicing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's about how I feel when I read your cooking blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely to be able to see others' thinking, how they approach their worlds. Thank you for sharing your 'niece-in-law's' blog. It was great. My daughter works in the art museum world; I sent it to her too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I told my students that they would appreciate what their classmates had to say--and you've just backed that up with this post. Thank you! ;)

    Stephanie
    http://boxofchocolates29.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your post packs a lot of rich language into a few words...and then you layered in the excerpt from your nephew's wife's blog. What an amazing compliment to your words! No doubt, you are mutually inspirational.

    Thank you for your comment on my blog...it was great timing as I am in need of some fuel to keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Breathing in, letting your mind clear, getting new flavors - like it. MHG

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Sweet Elizabeth!

    So so kind!
    Love,
    Jaime

    ReplyDelete