March 22, 2011

TED


I don't know I how I discovered TED talks. TED, which stands for Technology, Entertainment and Design, is about spreading ideas.  I listened today to Hans Gosling talk about the first time his mother
 used a washing machine "even grandma was invited to see the machine"--which he then parlayed into the idea of those who have versus those who have not. 


I had my class watch Jill Bolte Taylor's talk (the talks range from 20 minutes to 4 minutes) about the morning she--a brain researcher--had a stroke.  We then used this as an exercise to talk about the idea of summary--and how would they summarize in four points what she said to the audience?

David Brooks, a columnist for the New York Times, talked recently about the idea of emotional connections, saying that we as a nation have failed in our attempts to solve the problems of education, because current policy ignores that the fact that we learn from those that we love, and until we examine the relationship that teachers have with their students, we are bound to fail.

These are little brain teasers--tiny talks that open up my mind to something new and fascinating and ingenious, explaining a little part of my universe just a little bit better.  I love TED talks and plan to use the washing machine talk to teach this current crop of students about the idea of a precis--of distilling what someone says down into a little slice of life.  Like what we do every day on March.


No comments:

Post a Comment