March 28, 2011

Spring Wildflowers

Today was filled with spring wildflowers--first found by my husband in the hills around us.  

And secondly by me, pinning the final flowers on the quilt I've been working on since last fall.  It's been a long slog, with moments of joy and moments of When Will I Ever Finish--kind of reminds me of teaching.  I began quilting when I was twenty and pregnant with my first child.  I wanted something that would stay done--as laundry, toilets, and dishes never did stay clean or done.  I still have my first quilt--it's laughable--but I like having it around to show my progression as a quilter.  I hand-stitched around a yellow Holly Hobbie print, and not knowing what to do with the knots, I left them on top.  I've improved since then, coming to learn applique when I lived back in Washington DC as all the quilters there know how to do handwork, brining little baskets or bags of their handwork to meetings.  So I learned.  
Spring Break's over.  Back to serious grading, the research paper, dealing with Mr. Plagiarism.  But the flowers will await me in my brief moments of free time.





Three more days to go until March Madness is finished for another year. 

12 comments:

  1. You have flowers?
    We don't have flowers yet. It's still too cold here in New England.
    But buds are popping up and I know it is only likely a matter of days.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your spring flower was beautiful but your quilt flowers are forever. I am in awe of those who can sew. I do not have that kind of patience. I hope you continue to make time for that hobby which you obviously enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am anxious to see the poppies begin to bloom here too. Right now we have daffodils and primroses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great pairing. They are both lovely, and show different views of several of your talents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wildflower season-- perfect!

    Yesterday I took pictures of my neighbors daffodils. Today I am watching it snow in Colorado.

    And I love your quilt. I want a hobby like that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly enjoyed all the flowers!! We have crocus blooming, daffodils ready to pop. I've quilted somewhat. It is a long process but it's oh so appreciated and lasting. Here's to getting back in the groove!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to see, but it's mostly bulbs coming up here in Colorado. It's snowing now. It's welcome moisture for us, but as I wrote a couple of times ago, I'm ready for spring. Maybe there are some wildflowers out on the prairie, but certainly not in the mountains. I love your quilt. The background enhances the applique beautifully. Inspires me to do something other than work & clean.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is always exciting when you see the first flowers. I am still waiting for mine to bloom

    ReplyDelete
  9. The flower quilt is fantastic, Elizabeth! I am so envious of your talents and of the spring flowers already appearing in your California hills. Thanks for linking to the quilt display on your other blog, too. I absolutely loved the photograph looking up into the red and white quilts!

    -Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way your two images work together. I know just what you mean by your last line: "But the flowers will await me..." Teaching requires that we build in escapes like this. Mine include embroidery, scrapbooking, and reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would love to see that first quilt. That would make a great post.

    ReplyDelete