March 7, 2011

Orange-Almond Cake






So this, cake, this orange-almond cake took some time--but as time goes, she's a winner in so many ways: slightly crunchy orange-infused one-layer cake topped with what could be called orange jam--but is really just orange juice boiled down to within an inch of its life rendering it gooey and sweet and perfect for sliding over the top of that cake--but it couldn't be left at that because what cake can be resisted if it has warm chocolatey ganache poured over the top of it, and that chocolate settles into a shiny rich glaze that just spills over the edges so that when I sliced into it and set a fragrant wedge on my plate, a whole cacaphony of sensory details called out to me--orange! almond! chocolate! and I took a bite--all those promises coalescing into one great big delicious grinning happy-filled mouth-satisfying experience.

One sentence, one slice of cake.
Recipe *here.*

17 comments:

  1. What a perfect combination of words and image. I needed both Elizabeth and now what do I do? It's 4:37am in a hotel room. No food anywhere.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, yum. I love the line about orange juice being boiled down to within an inch of its life. So, you just had one slice? I mean, that piece looks a little smallish and after 3 bites the plate would be empty. You had 2 pieces, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmm--between the picture and the post, I will have to try my hand at this

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sentence! My mouth is watering and I don't care for the combination of orange and chocolate. Picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Picture and post about food--delightful! You are giving me ideas!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I want to taste Orange-Almond cake. You really transmited us your experience and feelings. I loved your description, It seemed I had the piece of cake in front of me. I drooled.
    Literally my mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy slice. I have never figured out how to write about food. You set a very good example. Your description makes mouths water even without the picture.
    Terje

    ReplyDelete
  8. I putting this recipe on my to try list. YUM! Your description provided a sensory experience. They need you in the cookbook publishing market.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, that looks scrumptious. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! Orange and chocolate - a perfect combination! Thanks for posting the recipe, too. I'm always on the look out for new things to try!

    -Carrie F.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would say "thank you for sharing" but I didn't get my slice yet! Am I going to have to make this myself?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should be writing for cookbook publishers. I imagine it's not the easiest thing to describe-delicious food. One really must have to experience it, right? I want to run right into the kitchen. . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a delicious "slice"! Your word pictures made me cranky because I didn't get a piece. LOL I'm glad you shared the recipe. Very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love orange and chocolate together - I put chocolate sauce on sherbert. Thanks for sharing the recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think I need a bigger slice of that cake! Ohhh...yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Both to the cake and your sentence. :) So glad you shared the recipe. I'll have to try it for dessert club.;)

    ReplyDelete