March 14, 2011

It's Monday again, folks.


It's Monday again, folks, and I start again with the week.  I teach twice a week at a community college which is 30 minutes from door to door, and if the parking lot Gods are smiling on me.  Once a week, I have office hours, where I sit and grade papers.  I don't have an office, but instead seem to be able to find a place in our new library where students could find me if they wanted to.

Twice a week, I pack a lunch and drive to a classroom so I can stand and teach while trying to cajole and encourage my students to engage.

Twice a week, I give myself an internal grade: A+(never).  B?  F? Occasionally and that's when I come home and wonder what the heck I'm doing in a place where the reading isn't done, where students flunk quizzes, where the news if filled with people saying I make too much (such a funny line) and how my classroom of two hours a day, twice a week should cure all of society's ills.

Twice a week, I meet brilliant students who impress the socks off of me with their erudite comments.

Twice a week, I meet a bunch of idiots who cause me to long for deep, dark, almond-studded chocolate on the way home.

Twice a week I reinvent myself, working always to deliver the best of me to (hopefully) the best of them.

Happy Monday, folks.

9 comments:

  1. Last semester I added a graduate writing class to my list of teaching duties. You said it all in your piece. I have retreated back to my first graders to think deeply about whether or not I made any difference at the University. I know I make a difference in the world of six and seven year olds every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the repetition of "twice a week". It lets us see both sides of your teaching life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your use of "twice a week" reminded me of "When I was young in the mountains . . ." Sometimes it is hard not to be discouraged by those who don't do assignments. Your last line has hope for yourself and your students, that's what sticks with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Banksy art. He just blows my socks off. It's amazing how our days can be so varied from one moment to the next. I hope this week is rewarding for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang on to thoughts of those brilliant students. They'll keep you going. Meanwhile, I'm pretty sure you have more impact than you realize on the rest of the crowd, even a few of the glassy-eyed ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Banksy gift seems to show you'll never let those things really get you down. Thanks for a boost this Monday! It is hard to get up & get going sometimes, but I feel that most teachers are really giving their all & hate the latest negative press.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay!! I laughed at that line about the idiots. Enjoying Spring Break here...hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can relate to that internal grading system...today I gave myself a C...but the week is young, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep on trucking! I give myself an F today. Did not start off well, but there is always tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete