March 30, 2010

Slicing Month Done for Another Year

Time to celebrate another month of Slicing. I found this website, The Two Writing Teachers, at some point in 2008 (I think?) and so was curious about what the Slice of Life Challenge was all about. It was all about fun. And work. And thinking. And writing. And under the fine tutelage and encouragement of Stacey and Ruth, we all joined a "writing group," for that's how I refer to you all in conversations around the dinner table.

A few kept at it all year around, but I switched over to my other blog after a while, finding it too hard to focus in and keep one more blog going (it's really pathetic how many I have and maintain). I admire those who were steady writers and have appreciated all your comments while I sliced.

Last year at this time, my daughter had just been diagnosed with peripartum cardiomyopathy, my aunt had died, and I was on the road, and teaching and grading. When I look back at those slices, I see that month through the prism of writing to remember, as well as writing to cope. My daughter is doing well, learning to ride the waves a little, learning to love her little family that will never be as large as she had once hoped, but still fills our hearts in so many ways. The son and his wfie that had a baby that last March, has just announced they're expecting again (October, and this will be #9 in the grandchildren dept.). My classes for fall have changed from what I was teaching (and am teaching) so here we go again with learning a new course, or two. The relationship with the other daughter in-law has softened some, and I have hope--always--that we'll continue to figure each other out. And for a final update: the last child was married this summer, and the trip of last weekend was not only to the wedding, but also to see him and his new bride in their little home in Davis.

These slices, as Kevin mentioned yesterday, are so aptly named. Not only are they a slice of our daily events, but taken together as an aggregate, are a slice of a year, a lovely little wedge of memory.

I wish I had something profound to say, like "Keep your powder dry," like they say in those old spaghetti Westerns. But "Keep your pencil dry" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Keep writing, is about the best I can do. I plan to, in one form or another, in one forum or another. Look for me.






SOLSC Day 31. Click to return.

7 comments:

  1. You bet Elizabeth,
    Let's keep writing and commenting. I won't be leaving. Photos and writing that's my passion. So join me for more slices, anytime,
    Bonnie
    Where can you be reached? Here?
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bet Elizabeth,
    Let's keep writing and commenting. I won't be leaving. Photos and writing that's my passion. So join me for more slices, anytime,
    Bonnie
    Where can you be reached? Here?
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed reading your posts and slicing is something I will most likely do again next year. The writing is only part of it, the reading is just as enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been great to read your writing and be part of the community.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that:"keep your pencil dry"! Thanks for sharing your slices...
    my nonteacherly blog:http://tmsdaytoday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a wonderful month-end reflection, Elizabeth. I'm so flattered that you talk about the slicers as a writing group. It always comes back to that, doesn't it? Finding a comfortable place, finding community.

    I've loved sharing this community with you. Your writing and your thoughtful comments are what blogging is (or should be) all about!
    ~~Stacie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with all of the above! Missing your slices already!

    ReplyDelete