August 6, 2009

It's Thursday


It's Thursday and that means two papers on the driveway--we have the LATimes weekend subscription and greedily dive into real news.

It's Thursday and my Fix-It man can come and put in the light switch in my laundry room that's eaten up 5 hours of my time, four runs to the hardware stores, three different purchased switches.

It's Thursday and it's supposed to be cooler today, but the morning was sunny and hot when my husband and I took our walk.

It's Thursday and I finally got the dead bananas on the counter made up into two loaves of Banana Nut Bread.

It's Thursday and I think I have enough energy to tackle three little almost-done chores around the house: living room curtains, bathroom curtain, quilt backing.

It's Thursday and I heard my daughter's voice today, clear and lilting, with a hint of a smile. Yesterday she went into surgery to cut the child-bearing machinery off at the knees and her heart, already hurting from her peripartum cardiomyopathy hurt more because as she said, "I have no choice in this matter."

It's Thursday and I woke up early, remembering our last phone call last night. I wandered around the house in the early morning, the dawn beginning to break, wondering how she fared on her anti-emetic medicine that she said made her chest hurt even more. I planned her funeral, throwing open my mental closet about what I should wear, how I could help her husband, how to keep in touch with her little children as they grew.

It's Thursday and when I told her all this, she gave the smallest laugh, saying "No Amazing Grace at my funeral. I want the pallbearers to dance down the aisle like they are in that wedding video on YouTube."

It's Thursday and that laugh was what I needed to hear.

It's Thursday and it's already a better day than yesterday.

5 comments:

  1. This is a great format for writing. I may need to borrow this from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Tuesday and I'm sorry I missed this blog last Thursday! I could have smiled about it a few more days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m so sorry. Go to http://amothersheart.org/members/ for the latest info and support. You are not alone.

    Best wishes,

    Anne ( a fellow PPCMer)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember Mom, not only NO amazing Grace and YES for dancing, but also I want my casket lined in the quilt you gave me! I AM NOT GOING TO DIE! But If I do... know that I love you :-)

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your summer has been well. When do you start school again?

    ReplyDelete