May 1, 2009

Granite vs. Quartz

I can tell when it's the end of the term, because my brain is fuzzy--like picking up your great-grandmother's coke-bottle glasses and trying to see through them. I'm tired. The students are tired. We sick and tired of each other, although there's no hard feelings.

So, like an idiot, I moved right along to a project that requires full brain facility: choosing new kitchen counters. I guess it was driven by the fact that we are getting new windows and they are "retrofit" which means they go in over the existing aluminum frames (which are in pitiful condition) and right over the edge of the windowsill. In the kitchen, this means they'll be stitting on my countertop.

As far as home renovation goes, the kitchen counters were actually up on the list first, but when the neighbor got his windows done, and it was a great deal for great windows and there's a tax rebate and a manufacturer's discount--well--I paid the deposit on Wednesday. But, they agreed, if you were going to do the counter, it would be better to do that first.

I read a lot this morning and decided the debate between granite and quartz countertops is like the debate of Mac vs. PC. The granite people have nothing good to say about quartz ("there's no movement in the pattern") and visa versa ("upkeep is more than I want and it stains"). Of course, like the computer debate, no one is really debating apples to apples, making it all the more challenging.

All I know is that no one is really talking prices. Is it like that old saying, that if you have to ask how much it is you can't really afford it? I did check my bank account balance before picking up some samples this morning, knowing that once I took them home and saw them as compared to my 30 year old tile counters, there was no going back.

Maybe it would be better for my bank account if I just kept my nose to the grindstone, kept my brain in Fuzz Mode and kept grading those end-of term essays.

2 comments:

  1. I can understand your dilemma, and you won't want to go back once you start looking at samples! But, you won't miss your grout! There are benefits to both products and downsides. I will say that I have granite in my kitchen and love it. The maintenance has been minimal - I keep it sealed. It is beautiful and unique! I am sure you will be happy with either product - have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sorts of decisions can take over your life! I always make myself decide within the first week, then just love whatever I choose forever more. My husband, on the other hand, really thinks and thinks and thinks abotu a decision. Then he makes it, and proceeds to second guess the decision forever. We have just spent the last 5 weeks debating the 3 paint samples I gave him to choose from.

    I say go with the quartz. Staining sucks.

    Enjoy the grandbaby!

    ReplyDelete