April 20, 2009

Sumer Is Icumen In

Sumer is icumen in,
Lhude sing cuccu!
Groweþ sed and bloweþ med
And springþ þe wde nu,
Sing cuccu!
Or, as Wikipedia translates it:
Summer is a-coming in, Loudly sing, Cuckoo! The seed grows and the meadow blooms And the wood springs anew,
Sing, Cuckoo.



Summer is not just a-coming in, but has camped out on our doorstep today, all 101 degrees of it. I sweltered in my study upstairs, not wanting to turn on the A/C this early in the year, and after all, it was a balmy 75 downstairs. I was also sweltering because I so want this year to be over and done with, over and gone, so I wrote out all my lesson plans until the end, finished writing one final, gazed over the other (next week, after I finish the grading for the 101 research papers).

I also reviewed one more time the final tallies for the Less-Than-101 research papers; I ended up having three plagiarizers in the bunch. I hate it. I bring out that stack of papers to grade and I'm like everyone's best cheerleader for an A until they do the teacher-student-equivalent of pouring soda on my head, or spilling popcorn all over me, or stepping on my toes with hobnail boots. Then I'm not rooting for them so much.

In fact, I tend to pump my fist and holler "Nailed 'em!" when I find their source document on Google. They think I won't find it. They think I'm dumb. Downright Cuccu.

Tomorrow I get to tell three students they failed the assignment. It's a delicate situation while they wait outside for their turn, sweltering not only in the heat, but also in their own guilt. I'm sure they're thinking what I'm thinking: It's a lovely time of year.

Lhude sing cuccu!

1 comment:

  1. Holy Man! 101!

    I can just picture the plagarizers waiting to hear their fate. What a dumb mistake...so easy to track!

    ReplyDelete