April 10, 2009

Storytelling on TED

Today I was searching the TED.com website for three videos to show my 015 students. We'll watch the clip together, then work on creating one-page "precis" or abstracts or summaries of these talks--a valuable skill for them to have, I believe. We'll see--it's my first time trying this.

I'm bringing TED into the classroom not only as a way to get them to think beyond themselves, and then to have to condense it down, but also because too much of what's on the web is just pulsing images and lights and sounds directed at the viewer, with nothing to really take away. While these video clips may be some of that, to me, it's my chance to pull up a ringside seat and hear some of the great and inventive and thoughtful minds around.

Although it's organized by themes, you can also search by topic or by speaker. I have some favorites (Jill Bolte Taylor's talk is one we're doing as a class and I also like Malcolm Gladwell and Daniel Gilbert--the happiness guy), but am always willing to listen to some new speakers.

TED originally began as a conference for Technology, Entertainment and Design, but I'd say it's gone far past that. As I mentioned I always show Ms. Taylor's talk, a fascinating look at a stroke from the inside--she's a brain researcher-- and Malcolm Gladwell always has something interesting to say, but I wanted one more TED talk to show.

I've been thinking about story tellers, how to tell a story, if I even have it in me to ever craft or tell a story, so I enjoyed Doris Kearns Goodwin's talk about Abraham Lincoln and LBJ. I hope you do too.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing the clip, it was excellent.

    ReplyDelete