April 28, 2009

Writing Out of Ourselves

In fiction, while we do not necessarily write about ourselves, we write out of ourselves, using ourselves; what we learn from, what we are sensitive to, what we feel strongly about—these become our characters and go to make our plots. Characters in fiction are conceived from within, and they have, accordingly, their own interior life; they are individuals every time.
--Eudora Welty, On Writing

It's late, and I just finished watching Miss Marple solve another crime in another little English village. I was about to climb into bed, and remembered: I hadn't "sliced."

I've wanted to not write several times on this blog, thinking, oh who reads this--or--if they do read this, don't they want a day off--or--I have nothing to say. Or lately, it's because I've been trapped in a grading galaxy, and when I pause I flick into my Google Reader and see all my fellow slicers writing such interesting things and sometimes I feel I am most mundane.

But rather than think about my audience, I must admit I want to write so regularly that if I don't write, something's missing in my day. I want the feeling of something not being quite right.

So, nothing really to say today, other than, I'm writing. And somedays that's enough.

1 comment:

  1. Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

    ReplyDelete