March 12, 2009

Zip. Nada. Kaput.







(click on logo to return to SOLSC Day 12)

Zip. Nada. Kaput.

Ever have writing days like this? It's the tyranny of the blank page, or the blank screen which really emanates from a blank mind.

I even got enough sleep last night, unlike previous nights. So I should be brimming full of great ideas, vim and vigor. Isn't that the myth? I have a few quotes I write up on the board for my students when they are busy whining about their essay writing. One is: "Writing is easy. You just sit looking at the blank page until drops of blood form on your forehead." I have another similar one about slitting wrists and dripping blood on the page, but I only use that if I have a few Goth students sitting in the classroom.

One phrase that is echoing through my mind this morning is my mother's: "Mothering is a young woman's game." I am filled with the doing this past few days: cooking, cleaning, caring, washing, folding, wiping, cleaning again, changing diapers, grocery shopping and putting away, teacher-parent conferences, kids to school, kids to pick up, navigating nap times and being exhausted myself. I've decided that's why I have nothing to write this morning of any interest, significance, or viewpoint. But--at least I've conquered the blank screen. And that's something.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it funny how even we get a good night's sleep it seems things still don't go right. Hoping things slow down soon...love the "vim and vigor" line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you conquered the blank screen quite well! This week is just not a restful one. Cursed be the lost hour of Dalight Savings Time!
    ~T-Dawg
    http://darkstar11.edublogs.org

    ReplyDelete