March 3, 2009

Upsey-Downsey Day







It's an upsey-downsey day.
All's good on the daughter front: her husband received his MCAT scores and while they won't reveal numbers, it's a Two Thumbs Up, she says.

And then my Aunt Jean, a fascinating professor of history, my mother's sister, an organist for her church, a nervous sort at times and an Alzheimer's patient for many many years passed away early this morning. She was in Hospice care for the last week so it wasn't unexpected.

My students' scores on their re-writes generally all improved by five points.

One bright young woman in the back wants to do her argument research paper on forced tubal ligation of women after two children, in order to protect the environment. I mentally roll my eyes and wonder to myself if there isn't a better way to protect our planet.

While I was at school I forgot to make copies of all the grammar lessons I'd planned out so carefully yesterday, so now (since I'm an adjunct) it's on my dime at the local copy store.

What else could I do after this upsey-downsey day but make a batch of Snickerdoodle cookies as soon as I'd dropped my bags at the front door? I scratched a whole nutmeg on the teensy grater to add some spice to the dough, remembering the little store in Italy where I'd bought it. I eat, not one, but two warm spicy-sugary cookies right off the cooling rack and come upstairs to record my slice of life.

(click photo for recipe)

5 comments:

  1. I'm in grammar land right now. What kind of lessons are you teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snickerdoodles are the best! I haven't made them with nutmeg though. What a great way to end a rough day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could smell homemade cookies! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love snickerdoodles! I baked dozens of them for Christmas gifts. Our recipes are very similar. I'll have to give yours a try and compare.

    So sorry to hear about your aunt. My aunt passed in January (on inauguration day), and it wasn't a surprise for our family, either, but knowing death is coming doesn't ease its arrival for any of us, does it. My thoughts are with you and your family. I love that you gave yourself the gift of cookies at the end of this day.

    (Forced tubal ligation to save the environment?!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some days are like that, aren't they? With a mix of emotions.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete