March 4, 2009

Pouring, Not Raining







So it starts like this.

"Hey, Mom."
"Hey, Matthew."
"Kim's water just broke. We're at the hospital and she's already a 5." I glanced at the clock. 7:00 a.m. "We expect she'll have it by noon or something."
"You excited?"
"Oh, yeah. Totally."
Obviously this third baby hadn't checked in with her busy parents' schedule to see that she was scheduled to be induced at 2 p.m. on FRIDAY. He continued. "I hope you're not disappointed about not being here. You can change your plans and head directly to the funeral if you need to."

The original plan was to drive to my son's house in Phoenix and help get the baby here, take a flight up to the funeral in Utah on Saturday morning, fly back Sunday night then drive to my daughter's house to help her during my spring break. I shrug my shoulders. "Oh, they're pretty set. It's fine. I'm really happy for you, Matthew."

And so their third daughter, my eighth grandchild, arrived today at half-past noon. Kimberly Brooke is twenty inches long, 9 lbs 8.8 oz and oh-so-chubby-cheeked. Here's a picture of the happy parents and sleepy baby.

I wondered if she and Aunt Jean high-fived each other in the hallway of Heaven as they passed: one leaving earth and the other one heading down. It was an appealing little sliver of an idea.

I'm still driving out there tomorrow, and am anxious to see my newest grandchild. I have a little poem I found a long time ago that I print out and give to new moms I know. It has a religious bent, and so if you're not inclined that way, feel free to skip over it. Just know I'm happy. You be happy too. With all these life events, it's pouring, not raining over here. But with this new baby, we're singing and dancing in the rain!

And he who gives a child a treat
Makes Joy-bells ring in Heaven's street,
And he who gives a child a home
Builds palaces in Kingdom come,
And she who gives a baby birth
Brings Saviour Christ again to Earth.
--Masefield

No comments:

Post a Comment