March 10, 2009

One Step at a Time







(click on logo to return to Day Ten of the Slice Of Life Story Challenge)

Since I've been on the road (it will end, soon) I seem to write my posts backward-looking, posting in the morning.

I've noticed that if I post in the evening, there's no comments. If I post in the morning, it's apparent that there are a lot of early-birds out there in Slice O'Life Land, who tackle their correspondence first thing. Because I am trying to be a good Slice-O-Lifer, I aim for the morning to fit in with the routines of my fellow writers.

Update on the Journey: I read Kevin's posts early yesterday morning and he talked about a late winter snowfall. As I read that, I was sitting in Phoenix. But Flagstaff must have been in on the vibe for I drove through snow-sleet-rain from about 4,000 feet on up to Flag (at 7,000); apparently it was producing its own version of a late winter storm.

My daughter looks tired, and one of her helpers was at her home when I arrived. The helper agreed to babysit the 2-year-old while I drove my daughter to get gas in her car and some food in the fridge. I worried the whole time that I would tire her out further, and rounded the corner to see her leaning on her shopping cart (I was walking the baby around the store). I couldn't get her home fast enough.

How to keep life going when you've been hit with a chronic, debilitating illness seems to be her challenge, and it's like watching Philippe Petit cross the cables strung between the Twin Towers, one step at a time. One step at a time. How come something so trite is actually calming? Do those old cliches get repeated because they all contain a nugget of truth? My latest for myself is "Go Zen," meaning take it in stride, as stress-free as possible.

What cliche falls off your lips quite regularly? How does it resonate in your life?

6 comments:

  1. Yes writing early seems to be the best. We have so many slicers this year it's wild.
    Good to see that you've arrived and I'm sure your daughter is so happy for your support. I love the image connection to Man on Wire
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cliches become cliches because they first had value and were used for a reason -- ie, calming you down -- so if those help, find them and use them, that's what I say.
    Life if like that Man on the Wire so many days -- keeping our balance is key.
    Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Man on the Wire visual! Such a tangible description!

    -Carrie F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister-in-law was diagnoses with MS shortly after her first daughter was born. Doing the normal thing, like shopping for food, surely tired her out but helped her feel like something was normal. It really is a high wire act sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have more difficulty writing in the afternoon. It is either early morning or late at night. I am glad you made safely to Flagstaff to be with your daughter and grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every morning I go to the previous day and work my way backwards...trying to get in comments for the late night posters! But agreed, morning is better. I think better.

    ReplyDelete